Sunday, April 2, 2017

DISCIPLESHIP 101 (Part 2 - The Heart of a Disciple)

WBS.205
FUNDAMENTALS OF DISCIPLESHIP

DISCIPLESHIP 101

Part 2 – The Heart of a Disciple

Psalm 40:6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
8 I delight to do thy will, O my Elohim: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Contemporary Christianity wastes its time and energy and finances on people of the first three types of ground, and they ignore the fourth type.  Current Christian ministry focuses almost entirely on people who have not forsaken their own lives for the gospel.  Why is this?  It is because they are in constant need of care.  Why is this? It is because they are incapable of discipleship…The yoke harnesses us to the work of the Kingdom.  If this isn’t what you signed up for, your heart condition is ground #1, ground #2 or ground #3.

It has been said that when the gospel began, it was a movement of disciples mentoring disciples.  When it moved to Greece, it became a philosophy.  When it moved to Rome, it became a religion.  When it moved into Europe, it became a culture; and when it came to America, it became a business.

Contemporary Christianity is an amalgamation of the philosophy, the religion, the culture and the business; but rarely ever is it a manifestation of discipleship.  Today, we measure the success of ministry by the size of the ministry in the same way we measure the success of a business by size of the business.  Seminary graduates seek to find the largest congregation possible to begin their pastoral ministry; and then either grow its numbers into a megachurch, or they hope to be “called” from congregation to larger congregation through the years until they are pastoring a very large congregation and have reached the appearance of success in ministry. This is one empirical evidence that the contemporary gospel message is simply a device for growing a business. 

Frankly, a megachurch is a virtual impossibility with the gospel; because of its cardinal instruction to “Go.”  Even in Jerusalem, at the birth of the church, there were 3,000 who responded to the gospel in response to the very first presentation of the gospel ever made.  Not long afterwards, there were 5,000 men (we don’t know how many additional women and children were not included in that number); and then a bit later, the Scripture says that multitudes were being added regularly to the church. Once properly instructed, they went out to do what they had been taught. They did not rush out and start a building program with an enormous sanctuary, a huge fellowship hall, buildings to house Sunday School classrooms, and a gymnasium.  No, they met in houses.  Why is this?  It is because the gospel commanded them to teach the people to observe to do what Messiah had commanded them to do.  That is mentoring disciples; and you can’t do that en masse. It is personal and intimate. 

Today, Contemporary Christianity teaches people what to believe. It does not teach them what to do.  Surprisingly, the Scripture does not tell us to teach people what to believe.  We are commanded to teach people what to do, how to do it, and then to get them out to do it.  The apostle Paul tells us that the Scripture is good for doctrine and instruction in righteousness; and the apostle John tells us that the Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth and teach us all things, such that we have no need for any man to teach us. What we need is for someone to teach us how to minister to the sick, the afflicted and the demonized; and how to present the gospel; so we can do it and then mentor those who respond to us so they are able to do the same.

I have heard so many Christians through the years say, “Well, that isn’t my gift.  I am not called to evangelism.”  If they told the truth, that sentence would become:  “Well, I am terrified to share my faith with others, because I barely have enough faith myself to keep me going from day to day.”  You can translate this sentence to: “I am a disobedient and selfish child.  I will not do as my Master commands me because I don’t like being told what to do all the time.” They are such as have hearts that are ground #2 or ground #3 in the parable of the sower.  They are incapable of discipleship.  They do not have what it takes within them to bear the fruit of the gospel. 

It is entirely possible that they simply have never heard the gospel, before; and have never been given the opportunity to respond to it.  What has passed for the gospel message as long as I have been alive bears little resemblance to the gospel of the Book of Acts.  Messiah commanded that repentance and remission of sins be preached in His name; and to heal the sick and cast out demons and set the captives free in the process.  If churchgoers have heard THAT message and still will not DO what they are commanded to do; we need to stop spending time on such “believers.”  They are a distraction from the mission.

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The Master explained to us that the masses will enter in at the wrong gate.  Only the few will follow the correct path.  We need to stop being concerned with the masses whose hearts are grounds 1, 2 and 3, and shake the dust off our feet from them.  We are in the business of making disciples, not believers.

Our opening verses demonstrate what discipleship is.

Psalm 40:6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
8 I delight to do thy will, O my Elohim: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Notice it does not say, I delight to learn what your will is; or I delight to believe what your will is.  No; it says I delight to DO your will.  Now look what follows these verses:

Psalm 40:9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O IAUE, thou knowest.
10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

He did not hide or conceal from others the truth.  He DID as he was commanded.  He preached the righteousness of IAUE.  He declared His faithfulness and His salvation.  He came to DO the will of IAUE.  Where would we be today if Yahushua only believed in the will of IAUE?

The overwhelming majority of Christendom, today, are people whose hearts are the third type of ground.

Luke 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

This kind of heart is not capable of discipleship.  Why not?  It is because a disciple is one who is devoted to the instruction of a master.  These people are ruled by their own concerns and interests.  They are not capable of serving a master because they are their own master.  They cannot bear fruit.  Yahushua personally addressed this condition.

John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

We cannot bear fruit unless we abide in the Master Yahushua Messiah.  If we are not fruit bearing, we are of no interest to him.  Only the 4th ground bears fruit.  Only a disciple can bear fruit.

Making disciples is the objective of the gospel.  Making believers is not. Discipleship is not easy.  It costs everything; but then, Messiah died for all so that they who live would no longer live for themselves; but for him who died for them.  That is the exchange; and it does not get any easier than that.  If you believe the gospel and you are not DOING what is commanded of you, there are other names for you.  Disciple is not one of them. If you are not bearing fruit, your own life testifies against you that Yahushua Messiah is not your Master.

Kingdom heart: a heart that offers no resistance to the performance of the will of IAUE.


No comments:

Post a Comment